A few snippets of foodie news from the north this week:
* Congratulations to the Michelin starred Black Swan at Oldstead in North Yorkshire which, SquidBeak reports, has just won the Food and Travel Magazine’s ‘Gourmet Bolthole of the Year’ award, voted by readers. (If you like the sound of that, don’t forget I mapped the north’s Michelin places which do lunch at a reasonable price here)
* Seafood specialists Livebait Leeds and Manchester are under new ownership. The restaurants are now now part of a new, independent company called S.B.G Restaurants and there’s been changes to the menu as well as how the ingredients are sourced.
* Halifax will be hosting the town’s fifth annual food and drink festival on Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 June. Entry is free for the first time and more than 60 stalls will be setting up shop. I’ve dropped more details on the noticeboard here.
* Manchester is soon be home to an Italian Gelateria – Fresco Freddo. They’ve been in touch to say they’ll be serving ‘fresh, traditional and authentic gelato’. No opening date as yet but it will be at 83 Oxford Street.
* If you’re looking to live it up a bit, the Fullerton Place Spa in Belsay has started doing light lunches and afternoon teas in the grounds of the retreat. For more information call Grace on: 01661 881804.
If you have food news from anywhere across the north to share, drop me an email or post it up on the noticeboard.