Tonight’s meal moved things on a bit with this week long challenge – a chicken curry. First thing to note from the recipe I used from the app provided is that it contains many fewer ingredients that I’d normally use for a curry – no individual spices, garlic, ginger or chillies.
And the method is a bit different from the standard browning of the meat, creating a roux etc. It all started with sauteing the onion and carrot on its own before adding pieces of floured chicken.
Just as I was about to add the chicken pieces, something occurred to me – no instructions about the addition of the curry powder. I’m guessing these recipes haven’t been roadtested much to date and these sort of details are easily missed so I went back to the flour dredging stage and added the curry powder there.
After the meat and the veg, the stock, cream and milk where added and all set to cook up for 20mins while the basmati rice cooked on the hob.
The verdict: The chicken was beautifully cooked – very tender and moist but again, like yesterday, the sauce was a bit dry. I’m thinking this could be as much to do with the roadtesting of the recipes and am going to add extra liquid for future dishes. The dish cooks fast and hot and the paddle function prevents anything from sticking or burning. Personally, I thought it was too mild and think some more aromatics and spices would pep up the recipe in future.